Family & Consumer Sciences Education empowers individuals and families across the life span to manage the challenges of living and working in a diverse, global society. Our unique focus is on families, work, and their interrelationships.
REALITY WORKS SUMMER 2020 WEBINARS!
Getting Your School’s Buy-In for a Hydroponics Program
- Hydroponics systems bring so much value to the classroom; opportunities for student engagement, career exploration and STEM-focused lessons are just a few examples. Join us to learn the types of hydroponics systems available for classrooms and how to implement a program in your school. You’ll also hear from real educators using hydroponics in their classrooms.
- July 1, 2020 01:00 PM CST
Integrating Leadership Soft Skills into Your CTE Program
- Do your students understand the importance of vision, diplomacy, coaching or team building? Whatever career path they choose, employability skills, or soft skills, will help them succeed as leaders. In this webinar, we share tips and best practices for integrating the leadership skills into any CTE program to teach students the soft skills they’ll need for leadership beyond the classroom. Learn three best practices and activities that you can use immediately to apply them in your teaching.
- July 14, 2020 11:30 AM CST
Getting Started with RealCare Baby
- Designed for those who recently purchased RealCare Baby or inherited a program they are not familiar with; this webinar will cover the important elements of Getting Started with a RealCare Baby program. Realityworks Product Support Team Member, Nate Schlieve, will review of what’s included with RealCare Baby 3, how to us Control Center Software and interpret the post-simulation report, and give simple tips and tricks to make your program successful.
- August 6, 2020 11:30 AM CST
Teaching Soft Skills: 15 Tips in 30 Minutes
- Whether you’re preparing your students for careers in healthcare, horticulture or human resources, they’ll need soft skills to succeed. In this free, 30-minute webinar, we’ll share tips, ideas and best practices we’ve learned from educators across CTE who are finding creative ways to incorporate soft skill lessons into their curriculum.
- August 12, 2020 11:30 AM CST
Easy Steps for using Google Classroom
- In a 30-minute webinar, Realityworks Product Support Supervisor Chris Potapenko will walk through setting up a Google Classroom for online deployment of student activities, classroom management and organization.
- Attendees will:
- Hear common remote teaching strategies
- Learn about setting up a Google Classroom for your learning environment
- Walk away with new knowledge on the benefits of an online classroom
- Presented by: Chris Potapenko, Product Support Supervisor
- August 13 , 2020 11:30 AM CST
Be A Better Baker!
- Baker Bettie is a trained chef, baking educator and demonstrator on a mission to take the intimidation out of baking. She truly believes that understanding the processes and whys of baking is far more valuable than any recipe alone. But let's not over-complicate things. Betty is offering the “Fundamentals of Baking Course” for free.
- The Dibble Institute is a 501(c)3 nonprofit that promotes relationship training for youth—especially in the context of dating and romantic connections. Our goal is help to young people build a foundation for healthy romantic relationships now, and for lasting, positive family environments in the future. They do provide “free” movie guides that may be an option when discussing certain aspects of healthy relationship. Their curricula are not offered for free.
Dibble Institute – Especially for Adults
- The Dibble Institute is a 501(c)3 nonprofit that promotes relationship training for youth—BUT their materials are just for students. Need a little instruction in self-care in these unstable times. The institute has a 12-session class on Self-Care. Check it out here. If you can’t make a session, they post it on YouTube.
- Looking for some service-learning opportunities. FCCLA has partnered with LEAD4CHANGE and your students can be recognized for their work. This is a student leadership program where students make BIG changes. They can work individually or as a team. A leadership curriculum with a community service framework.
National FCCLA (Family, Career & Community Leaders of America
- FCCLA advisers enjoy many benefits including resources, professional development opportunities, leadership growth, and networking. These benefits are available to any adviser at any experience level. If you currently advise a chapter, use the portal to login to see all the free teaching resources for you to use in your classroom on a variety of FCS education topics.
NDSU Extension Resources
- The extension service provides great teaching resources and it is research-based! You can trust what you are teaching because it is based on facts. www.ag.ndsu.edu/extension
- FCS Specific Topics and links follow:
- #adulting www.ag.ndsu.edu/adulting
- Mental and Behavioral Health www.ag.ndsu.edu/cff/resources-for-emotional-and-mental-health
- Children, Parents, and Families www.ag.ndsu.edu/cff/children-parents-and-families-folder
- Personal and Family Finance www.ag.ndsu.edu/money
- Food Preparation www.ag.ndsu.edu/food/food-preparation (tons of recipes here--most are pretty simple)
- Food Safety www.ag.ndsu.edu/food/food-safety
- Health and Nutrition (including a section on Adolescent Health and Nutrition) www.ag.ndsu.edu/food/health-and-nutrition
- And more recipes! www.ag.ndsu.edu/food/recipes
- The Family Table www.ag.ndsu.edu/familytable may be great when families are quarantined together. There is a list of topic-starters that can be printed out.
- Realityworks provides comprehensive learning solutions that pair curriculum with hands-on learning aids, student activities and assessment tools to create innovative learning environments. RealityWorks is providing access to their FCS curriculum. This includes the topics of Infant Simulators, Reproduction and Pregnancy, Child Care Education, Culinary, Geriatrics.